Sunday, November 10, 2013

Bee Eye Why See: Fried Chicken

A bear about to be stuffed with Bair's!
I can't believe it's taken me this long to get around to writing this blog post. Nearly 20 years ago when Anthony brought me to York for college we got some fried chicken at Central Market. And that same stand is still there selling some of the best fried chicken you can find in the area. Bair's has been selling fried chicken at the market for almost as long as Anthony and I have been alive. And it's not just the name that keeps this bear heading to Bair's; their chicken is the drawing card.

Over the years I've had just about everything on the Bair's simple yet comprehensive menu. It ranges from wings and sandwiches to nuggets & strips but my go to is the Number 5 consisting of a breast, wing, leg & thigh nestled next to a huge pile of Dutch potatoes. It's totally worth the hour and a half I have to spend licking my oily paws.

The chicken is always crisp on the outside and moist and tender inside which, let's be honest, is what you're looking for in fried chicken. It is quite simply the perfect late night/post bar food, which makes the fact that they're only open till 6 kind of a bummer, but that's par for the course with the market. I'm hoping the revitalization of the Market District leads to more of these great businesses saying open longer. In the meantime you just have to get yourself to the Market by 6 PM Tuesday through Friday and by 3 PM on Saturday to get some of this awesome "Four Paw Rated" fried chicken. It is, by far, the Best In York City!

No comments:

Post a Comment